A Guide to Senior Rings

Lexilee Boodram, Editor-in-Chief

Many seniors desire the attractive, eye catching jewelry that is the Senior Class ring. Explicitly gorgeous, the rings are a symbol of achievement for completing high school and represent all of the good memories of the past four years as well as the hardships that come with graduating, such as leaving your friends and those memories behind.

Questions always arise around ring season in October on whether or not you should purchase one. The choice, however, is entirely up to you. If you do not like or wear rings, then the answer is simple – do not buy one. If you do like rings and plan on wearing a Senior Class ring, then feel free to buy one.  It is as easy as that. The main reason why many students do not buy the ring is because they are rather expensive. Due to the authenticity of the rings, the prices can seem sky high. They are pure gold and silver and the stones are real as well. Plus, all the work to get the materials for the ring and the actual process of creating them takes time and manpower. It is more expensive when you want additions added to the ring because it takes more effort, time and resources to personalize the jewelry.

This year, Herff Jones Co. is providing the Senior Class rings to John Adams High School. The company was established in 1920 and is based in Indianapolis, Ind. They specialize in school spirit attire such as rings, cap and gowns, diplomas, trophies and more. They also make championship rings, such as those for the Superbowl. The class ring tradition began over 100 years ago at West Point Military Academy in West Point, N.Y. and has since been adapted by schools across the country.  Herff Jones Co. helps to keep that tradition alive by offering a wide variety of styles and customization options.

Ring Selection

The ring styles are separated into collections based on their different appearances. A sample selection of male and female rings are displayed in the slideshow attached to this article.  

Along with the base model, there are many optional features for your ring. These include choice of metals and finish, whether it is polished or hand-sculptured, engravings or different symbols, stone color, cut and additional stone selections; all of which have specific additional prices.

A Guide to the Ring Catalog

The senior ring catalog is very easy to read and use. The ring selection sheet can be found on page 5, and that is where you fill out the specifications of the ring you would like to order. Pages 8-13 contain all of the male ring styles and pages 14-20 contain all of the female ring styles. Metal choices, finish choices and engravings are shown on pages 22 and 23. All of the stones with their cut choices and any additional stone options are located on pages 24 and 25. There are more options to add some personality to your stone such as vistavues, which are symbols that can be within the stone, and premium stone options which add patterns to the stone itself. The remaining pages, 28-39, are the option for pridesides which are symbols that can be added to the sides of your ring choice.

Ring Prices

The ring prices start at $299.95 and increase based on ring selection and any alterations made.  The prices for the rings are displayed in the slideshow attached to this article.

For those who are unable to make the $320.00 payment, Herff Jones Co. offers a package deal for $179.95 for females and $189.95 for males. This package is an ‘Economy School Ring Made In Ultrium’ that includes an Ultrium ring with your school name, year of graduation, school mascot, and a smooth colored stone of which you can choose the color, though you cannot make any other alterations or additions. The male rings are larger than the female rings, which is why the male package price is slightly more expensive.  If you want anything additional or any changes made to the ring, then you will have to pay the full price of a ring in that category and cannot use the package.

A representative from Herff Jones Co. will be in Room 103 at John Adams High School on Oct. 16 from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. When meeting with the rep, you can ask any questions you have and get your finger sized for the ring. In addition, if you have any difficulty with filling out the ordering form beforehand, the representative will be able to assist you while they are on campus. On this day, if you want a ring you must make a down payment of $80.00. With all orders there is an added fee of $10.00 for shipping and handling plus $8.87 tax. If you are interested in purchasing a ring or would like more information but are unable to meet with the representative that day, please see Mrs. Beneduce in Room 318 as soon as possible.