Stress: What’s the Worst That Can Happen?

Shannen Ramdeen, Writer

Stress is a common thing that everyone experiences, including students at John Adams High School, and especially the 2018 seniors. Many types of school work and tests can cause a severe amount of anxiety in students, and stress is something that can affect you physically as well as mentally. Stress is caused by a constant degree of tensions that are pressuring you, an example being procrastinating on a important paper until the last day before the due date. There are many stressors and each type can affect you emotionally, physically and mentally, and they all have the power to create unhealthy habits in the mind and also attract unhealthy ways to cope.

According to the most recent report by the American Psychological Association, 80 percent of Americans experienced symptoms associated with stress between fall 2016 and January 2017, with teens reporting higher stress levels during the school year. There are many different ways to cope with stress for all ages, and not all of them are healthy. Some use substances to manage on a daily basis such as smoking cigarettes or using different types of drugs or over-eating or drinking alcohol; others cope in healthier ways such as sports, talking to a friend or taking breaks to ease the mind. Stress can manifest in different ways and can manipulate certain parts of you that it should not so it is important to find healthy coping mechanisms. School work has been known to be the most stressful thing about school in our curriculum. Every day students are being pushed to be successful and achieve an important place in society.

Simon Jainarain, a 17-year-old senior at John Adams, advised all seniors to relax by “not stressing over things that are simply not even worth [the] time … Do not fear opportunity but fear missing the opportunity.”

“What stresses me out is homework, as well as when there are upcoming exams,” Jainarain said. “Sometimes it is stressful when planning, especially when there are too many events or contradictions going on at once.”

Another recommendation comes from Jacqueline Feliciano, a 17-year-old senior at John Adams High School. “Find hobbies that can take your mind off current situations,” Felciano said.  It has been shown that a way to decrease stress is finding an activity that you succeed at, which can help you believe that you are capable in all activities. Hobbies such as reading, sports or any type of art can create can help you change your way of thinking.

Here at John Adams we aim to reduce these types of stress in every possible way we can by providing the best counseling and being more efficient with with gym classes, such as providing the meditation room and also including yoga lessons within the class plans. However, whether at John Adams or elsewhere, stress can follow you wherever you go if you let it, so it is important to look for healthy ways to cope with any stress you might face.