Fashion Takes Center Stage at John Adams High School

Andrew Tommaso

On April 25th, 2018, John Adams students strut their stuff on the catwalk in dresses and suits that were generously donated to the Prom Attire Drive which was spearheaded by Tami Beneduce, Senior Advisor. The Prom Fashion Show, emceed by Matthew Nelson, Director of the Media SLC, was a rousing success and a dazzling display of talent, fashion, and awards recognition.

The evening kicked off with the debut of the John Adams cheerleaders and mascot, coached by Gwennette Lee, ISS teacher. Lee also directed the models in how to sashay their way down the runway, telling them, “This is your stage. Own it. Walk with confidence.” Students of all ages showcased samples of formal wear perfect for prom.

The Prom Attire Drive ran from January through April and brought in over two hundred and fifty stunning garments. “I was overcome with the outpouring of support and generosity from not only the Ozone Park community, but from the entire metropolitan area,” Beneduce stated. “Chelsea Katz of New York 1 took an interest in our story and aired an interview taken with me and my senior council, and the response was instantaneous. I am still getting calls asking if we are accepting donations,” she said. Beneduce’s husband, John Beneduce, worked tirelessly to show support of his wife’s efforts by driving all over New York every Sunday to pick up outfits. The Prom Fashion Show was put on to highlight the amazing donations that were received and make students aware of the options available for them. Beneduce stated that thanks to the benevolence of the donors, she had been able to outfit numerous students for prom.

Additional entertainment was provided by Talent Show winner Tina Mohamed, who gave a moving performance of Jessie Reyez’s “Figures” and Faviel Frias, who charmed the crowd with his rendition of Bruno Mars’ “When I Was Your Man.”

Throughout the show, Nelson enthusiastically announced the Class of 2018 Senior Celebrities, including such categories as Most Likely To Succeed, Dreamiest Eyes and Mr. & Mrs. John Adams. Winners in attendance were invited on stage to receive their award and recognition from the crowd. Finally, the audience was treated to a special promposal given by Ruddy Montan to his girlfriend Navashree Ramnarine who excitedly accepted.

Overall, the Prom Fashion Show was deemed a massive success by all who attended and took part in planning it, and will be a staple in John Adams’ senior events going forward.

We would like to give thanks to everyone who donated items and a special shout out to the following people, businesses and/or organizations for their extremely generous donations:

• Guru Nanak Kitchen from Hicksville, Gurudwara
  • Diana Ritchie
  • Janet Matteo and the Boutique at the Long Island Coalition for the Homeless
  • Sarah Schubert and the Community Service Club at Herricks High School in New Hyde Park
  • Lulu from Bellalulus Boutique