Student Singer Cashes in at Talent Show

Student Singer Cashes in at Talent Show

Homalyah Narine, Writer

The annual talent show was coordinated by Music Brings Life, an organization which, according to creator and producer DJ Special, “educates young people within the Black-American, Latino and Caribbean communities about the importance of donating blood by having concerts and musical events.” The event was held this year at John Adams High School in collaboration with the Young Adult Borough Centers (YABC) program at the school.

DJ Special said that John Mazzochi, the Assistant Principal of YABC, was the one who proposed the idea of having the show at Adams this year. It was noted that the purpose of the show was to search for “New York City’s top talent”.

Although the show was scheduled to begin at 7:00 pm, the audience and competitors saw it kickoff twenty minutes later. However, this did not affect the positive attitudes of those who came out to support their loved ones like the mothers cheering for their daughters in the Something Untouchable Dance Company and Second Generation South Bronx Kids.

The show saw many of Adams’ talents take to the stage for the singing segment, as compared to the dancing portion which drew less, but the judges were in awe after tenth-grader Tina Mohamed performed a soulful rendition of Location by Khalid. Mohamed said that she chose the song because while it may be sad, it has the kind of beat that can a person can “vibe to”.

Having been interested in music since she was five years old, Mohamed, who started performing in middle school, said “when I saw the school put up posters for the talent show, I knew I wanted to join. I signed up the very first day.” In spite of this, Mohamed was not expecting to win the competition.

When asked about whether she would pursue music in the future, she said, “If you asked me this in sixth grade, I would have said yes right away but for right now I’m not sure. I kind of want to be a photographer, but only time can tell.”

“I just want to say that I am truly grateful beyond knowledge,” Mohamed said after the show. “This really means a lot. Thank you to the judges, host, Mr. Nelson and John Adams High School. This is an amazing experience. Lastly, thank you so much to everyone that has been supporting me for the last few months. You guys genuinely mean everything to me.”

On April 25th, 2018, the brilliant Mohamed performed Figures by Jessie Reyez at the Prom Fashion Show held at Adams. The performance was so well-received that she will now be singing at upcoming Adams’ programs and shows.