Depressed, Divorced, and Deprived: Depp Stays Stuck in the Deep Depths of Life

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lexilee Boodram, Editor-In-Chief

Nearly everyone knows who John Christopher Depp II, aka Johnny Depp, is. Even if they don’t recognize him by his name, they do know him by the characters that he’s brought to life.

When it comes to his off-screen life, Depp has had a difficult life from a young age. He was a peculiar child from the beginning, so much so that his parents thought he had Tourette’s Syndrome: a neurological disorder characterized by repetitive, stereotyped, involuntary movements and vocalizations called tics. Growing up, his family relocated multiple times during his childhood due to his father’s profession. By the age of 12, he began smoking, experimenting with drugs, and engaging in self-harm due to the stress of family problems. He faced internal turmoil because of his parents’ divorce. At age 16, he dropped out of high school and led an isolated and trying music career and even had to live in his friend’s ‘67 Impala.

Depp first got married to a makeup artist named Lori Allison when he was 20 years old, but the couple got divorced just a mere two years later when his first band, The Kids, broke up. He proceeded to be in serious relationships with actors Sherilyn Fenn and Jennifer Grey. In fact, he was engaged with both but the relationships eventually failed. When taking on the role of Edward Scissorhands, Depp and his co-star, Winona Ryder, fell for each other but their engagement failed after her parents refused to let her marry. He proceeded to have a public and destructive relationship with Kate Moss which failed a few years later.

In 1999, while filming The Ninth Gate in France, Depp met a French actress, singer, and model name Vanessa Paradis. Together they had two children, Lily-Rose Melody Depp and Jack John Christopher Depp III. Around 2012, the couple split up after spending nearly 14 years together.

Depp met his most recent love interest, Amber Heard, while filming The Rum Diary and got married in early 2015. The following year, Heard filed for divorce and proceeded to file a restraining order accusing him of verbally and physically abusing her. The divorce was finalized in 2017. The public still condemned the Sweeney Todd actor regardless of his ex-wife, Vanessa Paradis’s, and his friend, Doug Stanhope’s, claims that he would never hurt a woman.

This domestic violence case was brought up again to the public three years later due to the surfacing of new evidence that changed the course of the case. The Captain Jack Sparrow actor filed a $50-million defamation case against Amber and has presented evidence that he was allegedly on the receiving end of the abuse. His lawsuit stated, “They [the allegations made by Amber in 2016] were part of an elaborate hoax to generate positive publicity for Ms. Heard and advance her career.” In his counter-lawsuit, Depp has accused Heard of being a perpetrator of domestic abuse and alleged that she attacked him numerous times, including an incident where Heard violently threw a bottle of vodka at him which severed his middle finger on his right hand and shattered the bones, causing him to require surgery. Also, while unaware that Depp’s bodyguards were five feet away, Heard started yelling, “Stop hitting me, Johnny,” which positively correlated with his lawsuit. Depp’s attorney stated in court that according to a statement from ABC News, Heard has “admitted under oath to violently assaulting Mr. Depp,” and that she’s “used her hoax” about domestic violence to become a “leader of the Me Too movement.” There have been 87 newly discovered surveillance videos, 17 sworn eyewitness statements, an audiotape, photographs, and other evidence submitted to the court that show Amber to be the abuser.

Depp has led a difficult life. He falls in love too quickly and ends up hurt in the end. Though he is a hero to many, he faces his own demons every day because he suffers from depression. There has not been an outcome to the domestic violence case yet, but fans hope for the truth to come out soon. However, the evidence presented shows that Amber Heard is the true perpetrator in this case. This one particular situation doesn’t mean that in every domestic violence case, the woman is at fault. Domestic violence of any kind is unacceptable regardless of gender.